Monday, February 11, 2008








"I think we have been too quick to dismiss what city people can know about nature. Their deprivation may actually help them to see better the few animals that they are allowed"
Robert Adams from Why People Photograph

Upon reading this line last night I was immediately brought back to my pigeon days. I spent a good two years obsessing over pigeons. I even named my cat after them. Living in a pretty dense area of the city where there is little in the way of wildlife, watching pigeons was an attempt to fill this void. Most people could not understand why I wanted to photograph these "flying rats" and I always hoped that the photos would reveal their true beauty and allow people to see them the way I do.

5 comments:

  1. I like the pigeon soup image. I wonder how that would taste.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep running into your work, since we happen to share the same name. I love these photos, I am a big pigeon lover. I'd love to see more of your pigeon pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow another Kate Hutchinson. I've never met another me. As for the pigeons I don't forsee bringing out more of them any time soon but you never know. I will have to check out your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought I would check out your pigeon series after you mentioned it in class. I enjoyed it very much. Pigeons are very interesting creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. TGH,
    I liked your pigeons too. It's nice to find people who also appreciate them. I feel that we are few and far between,
    Kate.

    ReplyDelete