Wednesday, November 25, 2009












In mid-September I photographed Cheryl Irving for the above article "Cheryl Goes to the Bank" (More Magazine, November issue). Cheryl was battling breast cancer and on sick leave from her job at CIBC when she learned that she wouldn't have a job to go back to if she got better. Cheryl loved her work and wanted to take a stand and share her story with others. More was good enough to take on the risks associated with publishing an article damning a major Canadian bank. A week after the release of this issue of the magazine, Cheryl died. I knew that she wasn't well when I met and photographed her over those two days in September, but Cheryl didn't let on. She was optimistic, fiery and full of life, and I'm glad that I got to meet her.

No comments:

Post a Comment